Monday, November 17

Yikes! It can't be!

This is the view from out my window this morning! The snow is sticking to everything--the roads, the trees, and the grass.

This is lake effect snow which can pile up some serious inches very quickly. It should be too warm for this stuff to stick or to last but who knows? It's been snowing heavily all morning. At times it's been almost white-out conditions. I wish the sun would come out and melt it off. That's probably not going to happen. :-(

I am so not ready for winter to arrive!

I finished a baby blanket last week. This was a request from a friend for a round baby blanket. Well, it's kinda round, isn't it? LOL! I couldn't find a round baby blanket pattern I liked. I did find one knitted pattern. After several false starts getting the center started, I checked the pattern and couldn't make heads or tails out of it. So scrap that.

I decided for the sake or speed and sanity to crochet a blanket. I had an idea for something a little different after seeing a photo of an old doily. I liked the swirl look. Down I sat with hook and yarn to see what I could come up with. This is the result. It's very easy to crochet. I used a size G (4 mm) hook and 3 balls of Bernat Baby Jacquards (about 1,000 yards of sport weight/DK). A little over two evenings and the blanket was complete. There are only 3 rows to this pattern, The first two are set up rows, and the third you keep repeating until you get the blanket the size you want or run out of yarn.

I've posted the Swirl Baby Blanket pattern as a free pdf download on Ravelry. To find the one page pattern, click HERE. If you're not a Ravelry member, you're missing out on a lot of resources for knitters and crocheters.

6 comments:

Islagringo said...

Nice blanket. That should make some baby happy!

And I was complaining because we are having a cold front come through here and it dropped to 66F last night!

Susan T-O said...

Snow! What a great excuse to wear all your warm woolies. It was over 80 degrees today & even now at 6:45 pm it's still in the mid-70s. I'm jealous!!

~ Phyllis ~ said...

Nice blanket. Send some of that snow down to Alabama. It looks so pretty.

Unknown said...

Wow, that turned out nice! And it only took 2 days? You must be fast.

We didn't get nearly as much snow as you did. Weird, since we're not that far apart. I can still see the leaves peeking through, though there was a few inches on the car.

Angelika said...

If you ask me, that's round enogh.

Bibliocat said...

Lovely blanket. Thanks for sharing.
I got hit with lake effect snow on Thursday and Friday... I am east of you near Lake Erie in the Snowbelt. We received over a foot of snow and more is coming.
Knitting and crocheting is fun to do in the winter... it helps keep you warm. Sheryl