Monday, October 18

Bag it Up! - a felted bag pattern






















Bag it Up!
is a felted tote bag pattern I designed for the Holiday Mystery Gifts group in 2009. Yes, the name is a little silly. I couldn't come up with anything that I liked better even with suggestions made by friends and others.

This is an easy bag to knit from the bottom up with no seams. Knit a bottom rectangle, pick up stitches around it, and knit the sides. The handles are knit in as you bind off the top of the bag and the ends are joined with a three needle bind off. Tuck in the yarn tails and felt it to create a very durable bag.

This one was made with 2 balls of Patons Classic Merino (one ball in Leaf Green and one in Forest) on size 10 (6 mm) 16" circulars. Don't you love how the variegated colorway made a unique pattern as it was knit? You never know how variegated yarn will pool or pattern as you knit it in the round.

If you'd rather have a solid color bag, only use one color of yarn.

If you have any leftover yarn, knit a pocket and sew it inside the bag like I did. Instructions are included for the pocket.

My felted bag is 11" tall (not including handles) and 32" around. It's a nice size bag that will easily hold your latest knitting project. (I gifted this one to a knitting friend, Anita, as a farewell gift before she moved to another state.)

Click here if you'd like to download the free pattern from Ravelry.

1 comment:

Bibliocat said...

Thank you for the pattern. My sister has been asking for a felted bag. I think I will try to make it for the holidays.