Sunday, November 4

Two free coaster patterns

Our local Pet Refuge Holiday Bazaar is coming up on December 8. I do what I can to support this no-kill animal shelter that relies on volunteers and donations to keep running. I'm working on items to donate for their bazaar. Last year, I donated my cat toys and a bunch of pet beds I had sewn from polar fleece fabric. This year I thought I'd add some people gifts to the pet things I usually make. I went looking for small gift items that could be made quick and easy. I found a few likely candidates. Mostly I got a lot of ideas for things I could make.

Here are two coaster patterns I came up with last night. Both are quick and easy to knit and only take scrap amounts of cotton yarn (like Sugar & Creme). They could be put in a basket and sold individually or 3 or 4 tied up in a stack with a bit of ribbon (or colorful bits of yarn). The Basketweave is a very simple knit. There are only 2 patterns rows. One is repeated 4 times and then the other is repeated 4 times, alternating as you go. It's reversible. The Square in a Square is a little more complex. The right side is textured and it is not reversible.

Feel free to knit these coasters as gifts or to donate to fundraisers for charitable organizations.

BASKETWEAVE COASTER
Size 7 needles (4.5 mm)
cotton worsted weight yarn (like Sugar & Creme)
about 13 yards






SQUARE IN A SQUARE COASTER
Size 7 needles (4.5 mm)
cotton worsted weight yarn (like Sugar & Creme)
about 12 yards

Finished size: 3.75" x 3.75"

Free patterns are available through my Ravelry pattern store.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are really cute. It makes a great project to take along to the doctor's waiting room or wherever else you need to fill time and don't want to take a big project. I'd make a set of these to bring as a hostess gift along with a bottle of wine. Thanks.

Astrid Nicole Etcetera said...

What a cute pattern! I just knit coaster #1 this afternoon. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

its a cloudy day, so i am knitting your basket weave coasters for the afternoon. a gift for a friend whos moving. they are really easy and fast too! it feels so accomplishing to see the results so fast. love em.

kfar.blogspot.com

ari_1965 said...

I like both patterns. I'm looking for something small to make. 4 or 6 of these with a little ribbon around them and maybe a candy cane tucked in would make a nice gift or something to sell for the church fundraiser.

Shereen Skola said...

Thanks for the great coaster patterns! This is a great way to use up that extra yarn in the "yarn basket" (which, I suspect, we ALL have!)
Thanks again!
Shereen in Wausau, WI

CeltChick said...

I think I'll try these in feltable wool rather than cotton (although I have LOTS of cotton...don't ask!), as I would like them to be a bit more waterproof.