Sunday, November 4

Two free coaster patterns

Our local Pet Refuge Holiday Bazaar is coming up on December 8. I do what I can to support this no-kill animal shelter that relies on volunteers and donations to keep running. I'm working on items to donate for their bazaar. Last year, I donated my cat toys and a bunch of pet beds I had sewn from polar fleece fabric. This year I thought I'd add some people gifts to the pet things I usually make. I went looking for small gift items that could be made quick and easy. I found a few likely candidates. Mostly I got a lot of ideas for things I could make.

Here are two coaster patterns I came up with last night. Both are quick and easy to knit and only take scrap amounts of cotton yarn (like Sugar & Creme). They could be put in a basket and sold individually or 3 or 4 tied up in a stack with a bit of ribbon (or colorful bits of yarn). The Basketweave is a very simple knit. There are only 2 patterns rows. One is repeated 4 times and then the other is repeated 4 times, alternating as you go. It's reversible. The Square in a Square is a little more complex. The right side is textured and it is not reversible.

Feel free to knit these coasters as gifts or to donate to fundraisers for charitable organizations.

Size 7 needles (4.5 mm)
cotton worsted weight yarn (like Sugar & Creme)
about 13 yards

Size 7 needles (4.5 mm)
cotton worsted weight yarn (like Sugar & Creme)
about 12 yards

Finished size: 3.75" x 3.75"

Patterns will be made available through Ravelry.


adoptionmsw said...

These are really cute. It makes a great project to take along to the doctor's waiting room or wherever else you need to fill time and don't want to take a big project. I'd make a set of these to bring as a hostess gift along with a bottle of wine. Thanks.

Astrid Nicole Etcetera said...

What a cute pattern! I just knit coaster #1 this afternoon. Thanks for sharing.

katie f said...

its a cloudy day, so i am knitting your basket weave coasters for the afternoon. a gift for a friend whos moving. they are really easy and fast too! it feels so accomplishing to see the results so fast. love em.

ari_1965 said...

I like both patterns. I'm looking for something small to make. 4 or 6 of these with a little ribbon around them and maybe a candy cane tucked in would make a nice gift or something to sell for the church fundraiser.

Shereen Skola said...

Thanks for the great coaster patterns! This is a great way to use up that extra yarn in the "yarn basket" (which, I suspect, we ALL have!)
Thanks again!
Shereen in Wausau, WI

CeltChick said...

I think I'll try these in feltable wool rather than cotton (although I have LOTS of cotton...don't ask!), as I would like them to be a bit more waterproof.