Friday, May 23

Yarns Unlimited

I've been out of town for a couple of days this week. Hubby had to go to Bloomington, Indiana for some training for work. I got to tag along. We arrived on Monday evening in the dark and pouring rain. The weather was much better on Tuesday. It was sunny and a little chilly.

While hubby was in class, I spent a couple of very pleasant hours at Yarns Unlimited. It's not very far from the IU campus where we stayed at the Biddle Conference Center in the Memorial Union Building (see picture).

Yarns Unlimited is in the Fountain Square Mall right off the downtown courthouse square. Suzanne Halvorson owns the shop. (That's her behind the cash register ringing up my purchases.) She's a very talented weaver. I saw some of her gorgeous scarves for sale in the gallery in the mall.

The shop stocks lots of nice yarns for both knitting and weaving. You can even buy looms and spinning wheels and some spinning fiber.

I had a good browse through her inventory and managed to bring part of it home with me. LOL! I just missed the Habu trunk show at the shop. (Sorry I missed that.) She had some yarn left from that and was expecting more. For the first time I got to see the new Noro sock yarn. Suzanne had four colorways in it. I treated myself to a skein of gray and purple. Though knowing me, I doubt I'll knit socks out of it. She had some huge 8 ounce hanks of organic cotton yarn in natural grown colors, not dyed. I resisted those even though I was severely tempted. She has bamboo yarn on the cone that you can buy by the ounce. And lots of hand dyed yarns in many fibers from Robin Edmundson, a local spinner and dyer. Suzanne is the only shop that carries her yarn. Otherwise, you have to buy through her website or at a fiber festival.

If you're in the area, please stop in and visit. Tell her Vicki sent you. :-)

No comments: