Sunday, March 4

Ocean Tide is finished!

I was determined to finish the Mystery Pi shawl yesterday. I cast off last night and had it on the blocking board before I went to bed. I was beginning to suspect that this shawl was cursed. (I even said a few bads words at it from time to time. LOL!) The yarn was slippery and I kept dropping stitches on the k2togs. I made 2 repairs from dropped stitches. I wasn't ripping back to fix them! The extra skein was too far off in color to use. Pookie caught a claw in it on Friday night and almost pulled a hole in it! (That's him in the pic below with the shawl.) It took me awhile to work the length of yarn he pulled out back into the shawl. I was tempted to throw it in the trash! When I washed it, the yarn bled blue dye like crazy. The water in the sink was almost black. After the third time it was still losing dye, so I filled the sink with hot water and vinegar. Either the vinegar fixed it or all the loose dye was out. The color really changed. It lost all of the purple highlights and is now mauve. Blocking was the final challenge. I've never blocked a round shawl or one as big as this. I did the best I could.

Renee has named this pattern Ocean Tide. From the center out the stitch patterns represent shells, the ocean floor, seaweed, and waves. I would have used a different color if I had known the theme. The shawl is beautiful. Mine is only 52" across after I blocked it. That's a little small. Hubby asked me if I had knit a tablecloth. LOL! I used a total of 1,120 yards. I had maybe 1 yard left when I finished binding off. It was such a relief to get it off the needles. Now I can move onto something else.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, what a beautiful work!
Daniela

N. Maria said...

Not only did you do a beautiful job knitting it, the colors are gorgeous!!

Linda said...

Very pretty!! Good work.

Miss Knotty said...

I like the mauve-y finish, because it reminds me of the sea-tide at dusk - the sun is going down on the water, and everything is tinged pink and orange under the surface. Beautiful Work!

Agneta said...

beautiful

Kristina Plaas said...

The design of your shawl is truly beautiful. I even like the final color, but then I'm a pink kind of girl. But it's really sad that your yarn lost most of it's color like that. I hope you'll have a gentle conversation with the person you purchased the yarn from as something like that really shouldn't happen. Of course you could always overdye the shawl to the colors you wanted now that it's finished--or maybe that might jinx things even more? Who knows? But I still think it's looks wonderful! Thanks for sharing :-)

Knitcrazy said...

WOW !!!
That is amazingly Beautiful !!!!

Penny

http://pennyknits.blogspot.com/

MUDNYC said...

Vicki, it's beautiful and reminds me of a jellyfish -- very ocean appropriate!

Jessica said...

Gorgeous, Vicki! Can't wait to see you model it!

Sande Francis said...

Vicki - I'm sorry you didn't have much fun knitting this shawl. It's a gorgeous pattern and you did a bang up job, even with all the help from kitty. :) I am definitely going to order the pattern next week.
sandeleh@sbcglobal.net